Monday, January 4, 2010

Are You Ready for the Future?

Those of you whom have been with me for a while, recognize that I do a lot of reflection during December and January. I often share my thoughts with you. So, here's some more to think about.

Recently, I shared lunch with a group. The topic was: "Are YOU ready for my retirement?" I plan to retire in January 2014 (four years). The question is a dramatic attempt to ask: "What are you doing to prepare yourself for the future?" The conversation was interesting. As we looked around the table, of the eight people at the table, I was the only person who is still in the department / position I was originally hired for. No one else at the table could say that.

Each of them had, at one time or another, decided to try something different. In some cases, they were asked to contribute to the success of the Credit Union by doing something different. Let's look at some specific details. HR Team - Pat, Diana & Donna. Pat came to us as Member Services Manager - no longer exists. Diana & Donna all started behind the Teller Counter. Did any of them think they'd be doing what they're doing today? Ask them.

Cindy Walker & Cheryl Baggett - started in the Collections Department. Do you know anyone more knowledgeable about the inner workings of Tampa Bay Federal than Cindy? Do you know anyone more knowledgeable about lending than Cheryl?

So, what does all this have to do with you? For the past seventeen years, I have been preaching about the future - only one thing is for certain, the future will be different from today. We'll have to change to adapt to that future.

Again, What are you doing to prepare yourself for the future? I'd like to throw out an idea for you to consider when thinking about your career: Perhaps your goal should be: A Career with Tampa Bay Federal. Not, A career as a Teller (Loan Officer, Relationship Development Manager, etc.) at Tampa Bay Federal.

Again, I can't tell you exactly what the future holds. I do know it will be different and will take different knowledge and skills to be successful. Continuous Learning is the 21st Century.

Accept the challenge. Don't wait for change to push you. Embrace it and continue the success you now enjoy.

As I have said many times: Success is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment